- Minimum altitude: No minimum, just a safe altitude.
- Direct Routing: If the weather is favorable, you may fly a heading
from Mountain Point of 199 for 23 miles.
- Landing zone: water, freezes in winter.
- Dan's Hideaway scenery addon needed from Misty Moorings.
- Click [here] for printer-friendly
A beautiful residence tucked away in a cove at the very southerrn
tip of the south arm of the Cholamandelay Sound about in the center
of the Prince of Wales Island. You can fly there direct on a heading
of 212 from PAKT for a distance of exactly 25 miles or use the VFR
TripTic plan below:
TreeTop VFR Plan
From: Ketchikan International
To: Dan's Hideaway
1. From PAKT or Totem Bight, head for Vallenar point, at the
northwest end of the Tongass Narrows.
... this will be an approximate heading of 295.
2. At Vallenar Point, set a heading of 190 for 11 miles to Chasina
Point ... the southern point at the entrance of Cholamandeley Sound
... after you make the turn, you will see Vallenar Bay to port on
... you are now heading for the Prince of Wales Island, 10 miles
... you are flying over the Clarence Straight
... Chasina Point is the port entrance to Cholamandeley Sound.
... Skin Island passes about a mile to starboard.
3. At Chasina Point, set a heading of 199 for 4 miles to Hump
... Hump Island is in the center of the Cholamandeley Sound about.
Set a heading to fly over it.
4. At Hump Island, set a heading (257) to fly a left-around of
Divide Head. Divide Head is 5 miles away, you will fly to port around
... You are flying toward the West Arm of Cholamandeley Sound
... as you approach Divide Head, Sunny Cove, a narrow inlet will
be seen off to starboard.
... as Skinny Cove passes to starboard, be ready for a left turn
past Divide Head, which puts you into the South Arm of the Cholamandeley
5. You are entering the southern arm of Cholamandeley Sound.
Follow the sound to the very southern end.
... you will see an island in the center of the arm near the end
of the arm, Dan's Hideaway will be at about 11 o'clock from that
... Dan's Hideaway is on the port coast near the end of the south
arm you should be able to see it when you near the end of the arm.
Simply reverse this route to return to Totem Bight Airfield.
To fly direct to Vallenar Point fly 018 for 24 miles.
Misty Moorings, Inc